Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Emergency help needed!!!  (Read 3192 times)

Buggy

Emergency help needed!!!
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:38:42 AM »
HELP! My golden dojo loach has lost his tail and his fins. He has a cloudy film on his head and over his eyes also. The emergency is, his tail is bleeding! How do you stop bleeding in a fish?? I don't think I have a bandaid that small..lol.

He is currently in a 29 gal tank with a betta and one lone black neon tetra. What can I add to the water to help him and maybe grow his fins and barbels back? Is salt safe for him or the betta and if so, how much should I add to a 29 gal tank?

Thanks in advance
Rita

demonfish

• Global Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Recently Joined
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency help needed!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 03:01:37 PM »
Was he chewed on by another fish?  It either sounds like fungus or bacteria on wounds caused by other fish or a severe (most like fatal) infection(s) like fin rot + septicemia or columnaris.   If the fish was injured first, separate it immediately.  If its a primary infection.  Get some antibiotics and treat the whole tank as directed.  Look at http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/diseases.html to try to diagnose. 

Buggy

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 09:57:18 PM »
Ok, I'll do some searching and see what I can find. Thanks for giving me some ideas of what it might be.

Obsidian

• OMG--- Did you see that?
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 08:10:08 PM »
An immediate step you can take is adding melafix. That helps with fin repair. If you find out it is a fungus you can add pimafix, but there are probably stronger meds you would want to use. The melafix should be able to be used with any other medication so there is not much downside to using it.
YMNRIO (Yes My Name Really Is Obsidian)
YIRDOF (Yes I Really Do Own Fish)

Notes from adolescents:
Are you kidding me?
Uh NO, I don't think so!
Fantabulous!

Notes from my cat:
Meow, yes I did say Meow, and I meant it.

Buggy

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 01:20:07 AM »
I think I may have lucked out this time. He is doing much better. The bleeding stopped and the wound looks to be healing on it's own. The film has gone away and he is moving around more and eating good. He has a bit of trouble finding the food it seems without his barbels. I drop a sinking shrimp pellet right in front of his face and he don't notice it until it starts to dissolve and he smells it, then he attacks it like he's starving and lays there sucking on it till it's all gone. He lays around on the sand a lot (I assume he's resting and trying to heal) but he does get up and move quite a bit and can still move lightening fast when he wants to. Maybe the crisis has been averted.

I won't be putting him back in the 55 gal tank until he is fully healed and I get the water back into good condition. And I WILL get it done even if I have to with hold David's dinner and unplug the t.v. until he gets it done! LOL He grounded KaCee from T.V. until she gets her bedroom cleaned so maybe I should ground HIM from T.V. until he gets his tank cleaned.

I should be going to the BIG town this week end and I'll try to pick up some Melifix if I can find it. I don't think I've ever seen the Pimafix at Petco here but I'll look for it. Any other general meds I should have on hand for emergencies that I need to look for?

BTW, thanks all for the replies and good advice. I wish I had had the stuff you all suggested.

demonfish

• Global Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Recently Joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 11:02:59 PM »
I would've put in a few drops of methylene blue in the QT tank to stop fungus from growing on the woulds.  But that is kind of "old school" and MB is getting hard to find.  Loaches are supposed to be sensitive to a lot of meds, you might want to check a specialty board for loach-safe meds.  I haven't tried melafix.  But most chewed fins grow back fine with just clean water and no new nibbling.   Maybe the film you saw was injury rather than illness. Damaged scales and skin can sometimes come off like that. 

Buggy

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 08:20:45 AM »
Yeah, the "film" looked a lot like pealing skin and was only on the top of his head and around his right eye. Could have been from trying to burrow in the sand. That could also be what happened to his fins and barbels. He seldom tries to bury himself unless one of the other fish gets after him. I think he's doing better today. The tail isn't any worse and the bloody red mark is fading.
Pages: [1]   Go Up